Gravity Hill Farm is a small, certified organic vegetable and flower farm that sells from the farm and at local farmers markets. The farm is founded on principles of family, community, and education as much as business.
Gravity Hill Farm is looking for 3 positions for the 2015 season: Full-season Crew Leader, Short-season Apprentice, and one seasonal full time staff/field worker.
To Apply: Please send a letter of interest*, resume, and three references to Gravityhillfarmmanager@gmail.com.
*In your cover letter please indicate which position you are interested in and describe your prior experience, your interest in sustainable agriculture, what you hope to gain by apprenticing at Gravity Hill Farm, as well as any strengths or skills that you think make you a particularly good candidate for this position.
Crew leader position
Will work closely with Farm Manager in:
- Implementing crop plan as developed by manager.
- Training and leading farm staff and volunteers to seed, transplant and harvest for markets.
- Leading by example, encouraging and instructing crew in fast pace, efficient and high quality seeding, transplanting, weeding, and harvesting.
- Maintaining all necessary records.
- Trouble shooting and problem solving
- Be positive and enthusiastic self-starters with farming experience looking to gain more experience and responsibility on a small organic family market farm.
- Have an eye for detail, ability to multitask and carry out instructions as directed.
- Have a good sense of humor, flexibility, and ability to deal effectively with challenging situations.
- Have excellent problem solving skills, be team players, and have the ability to share helpful and positive constructive feedback to staff when necessary.
- Have experience with irrigation systems, vegetable harvest, and greenhouse seeding.
- Have the ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly and work 60 hours a week in all weather conditions
- Ideally be someone with long term goals or interest in sustainable farming systems
*Though all qualifying applicants will be considered, those having experience with small engines, tractors, and/or implements will be given preference.
Compensation: Salary+housing, opportunity for midseason raise and/or bonus. Access to vegetables and berries grown onsite.
February-end of November. 2 year commitment, housing/housing stipend through winter
Seasonal full time staff/field worker
Some farming experience is necessary for this position. We are looking for someone with solid work ethic, who will carry their weight and enjoys working hard. Working one weekend day throughout season is mandatory. We’re looking for individuals with enthusiasm, a sense of humor, a killer work ethic, speed, and a commitment to getting the job done well. All applicants must have the ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly and work 55 hours a week in all weather conditions.
Staff/field worker will work alongside the farm crew and independently (as necessary) on a wide range of tasks, including: landscape maintenance including mowing and weedwacking, greenhouse production, transplanting, direct seeding, weeding, farm maintenance, harvesting and pack out for markets.
Seasonal Position: Early May-November
Compensation: Based on experience. Housing available with utilities.
Short Season Apprentice
The short season apprenticeship is open to individuals who are newer to organic farming, but preference will be given to those with prior agricultural experience. All applicants must have the ability to work hard and long hours outside and a passion for learning sustainable agriculture. Most education takes place in a hands-on, in-the-field setting. Additional opportunities are provided to visit local farms and attend workshops and local farmer gatherings.
Stipend: Apprentices will receive a monthly stipend and on-farm accommodations, utilities provided, as well as full access to vegetables and berries grown onsite.
The short season apprenticeship begins in mid to late April and runs through late October.
Education/Experience: Apprentices and staff will work alongside Gravity Hill’s farm manager on a wide range of tasks, including: greenhouse production, transplanting, direct seeding, weeding, harvesting, disease and pest scouting, record keeping, and selling at markets. Apprentices are expected to work roughly 55 hours/week - 5 days in the field and one day at a Farmers Market. All applicants must have the ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly and work 55 hours a week in all weather conditions. We’re looking for farm crew members with enthusiasm, a sense of humor, a killer work ethic, ability to work quickly and efficiently, as well as a commitment to spending the full season learning the ins and outs, ups and downs of farming! This is not an opportunity for those who think “farming sounds like a nice idea,” but who have never experienced some kind of hard, tiresome hours of work in all weather conditions.